Saturday, October 22, 2016

Author Interview - Craig Hart

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

CRAIG HART -AUTHOR OF SERENITY (PART  1 OF THE SHELBY ALEXANDER SERIES)

 Author Bio: Craig A. Hart is the stay-at-home father of twin boys, a writer, editor, Amazon bestselling author, lover of the arts, and only human. He has served as editor-in-chief for The Rusty Nail literary magazine and as manager for Sweatshoppe Media. He lives and writes in Iowa City with his wife, sons, and two cats. You can visit his personal website at: www.craigahart.com or find him on Twitter: @craighartwriter

Welcome to another Always Trust In Books author interview. On this post we have Craig Hart in to talk about his latest book Serenity. I really enjoy having the opportunity to talk to authors about their work because getting to know the talent behind the books we read adds a whole additional dimension of appreciation. I put forward some questions to Craig about his work and writing habits and I got some great background on Craig, his work and where he plans to go next. Thank you to Craig Hart for your time and I really look forward to picking up Serenity in the near future. To the interview!!


Can you tell me a bit about your latest release?

Serenity is the first book in a new thriller series starring Shelby Alexander. Shelby is an ageing ex-boxer who works as a "fixer," someone who takes on jobs the police either won't or can't do. Inevitably, this leads him on the far side of the law as the hijinks ensue. In Serenity, Shelby finds his peaceful retirement to the north woods of Michigan interrupted by a dying woman, a lucrative business deal proposed by a local drug dealer, and an annoyingly persistent hitman who wants Shelby dead.

What attracted you to the genres that your work occupies?

I enjoy fast-paced writing, snappy dialogue, and quirky characters, all things the thriller genre is known for. They are a hell of a lot of fun to write, especially if they don't take themselves too seriously. On the other hand, I am deeply interested in developing characters, both within books and over the course of a series. I'm a believer that plot is derived from character. Without decent characters, it doesn't matter what the plot line is, because no one will care what's happening. But if the reader is invested in the character, and feels they are getting to know them, they will begin rooting for that character and the danger becomes much more real.

What are your influences when writing?

I have a literary background, so Hemingway and Capote are strong influences. Closer to the thriller genre, I'd say that John Sandford and Michael Connelly have influenced me as well.

Could you describe a typical writing day?

I'm not sure I have a typical writing day. I am a stay-at-home dad, so I get my writing done whenever my twin boys aren't destroying the household. This usually means either during their nap or after they've retired for the evening. I do have a sitter come in twice a week and I generally leave the house for the safety of the public library. I do a lot of my writing there.

Which authors do you look up to?

The above mentioned writers are two I'd mention. I admire Stephen King. Although he's not my favourite author, he has done some amazing work. Others include indie stars like J.A. Konrath, who have built their own kind of empires.

Is there a particular book you have read this year that you want to share with my readers?

Laughter in the Dark by Nabokov, a precursor to Lolita, but much simpler and more accessible. As a result, I found it had an innate vulnerability that sometimes gets lost or smothered in the overly-obvious genius of Lolita.

How does it feel to be a published author?

It feels great at first, but then reality sets in. You realise most of the work still lies ahead. Not only is there the mountain of work that comes with promoting a book, but there is always the next book waiting to be written. A lot of authors, myself included, come away from a freshly completed project absolutely convinced they will NEVER be able to do it again, that they are tapped out and might as well give it all up. So, it's great to have people reading your words, but it does come with a decent amount of pressure, relating to the desire to continue pleasing the audience and the terror that you'll disappoint them.

What is next for you in the world of writing?

I am forging ahead with Shelby and his next adventure! I am well into book two and have some good (I think) ideas for book three. I can't wait to find out what happens, and hope everyone will join Shelby and me on the journey.

Thanks again to Craig Hart for his time here on my blog!

You can pick up Serenity on Amazon UK/Amazon US in Kindle and Paperback form. You can also add it to your to-read list on Goodreads here!

No comments:

Post a Comment