Friday, November 11, 2016

Author Interview - David Ian Jolly

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
DAVID IAN JOLLEY
MOSTLY HUMAN
TINPOT PUBLISHING

Author Bio: Born and raised in South Africa, I wanted to be a writer since I was seven years old after I found a fictional character in a video game who was a writer and I wanted to be him, more than anything else. I didn't actually start writing things down right away, but I always had a whole different world in my head I would spend a lot of time in. I've never been much of a sleeper so I used to say that I'd tell myself bedtime stories until I fell asleep.

As I got older I started to write these stories out but always found I'd lose the plot and couldn't finish anything, until A Guy, A Girl and A Voodoo Monkey Hand that is, which actually started as a joke e-mail to a friend.

Finishing that story was a revelation in my mind, I finally felt justified to really start concentrating on my writing and started writing short stories, poems and setting about on the next novel, and the one after that. Since then I have always been writing something, and I never want to stop.

One day someone will find me lying dead on my keyboard, probably smiling.


Welcome to another Always Trust In Books AUTHOR INTERVIEW!

I love it when I get an opportunity to ask questions to the great authors that I come into contact throught out the book blogging world. Today we have David Ian Jolly in the seat and we got some great insights into his writing, style, content and the new book out Mostly Human. Come and check out the Q&A below and if your interested in picking up his new book the links are here > Amazon UK (free on Kindle Unlimited)/Amazon US/Goodreads (current rating 5 stars!) 

Can you tell us some details about your latest work Mostly Human?

Mostly Human is the coming of age story of Alex Harris, as he goes from an adventures ten year old to the lead singer of the world famous band the WaterDogs. But he has a secret that he and his family have painstakingly kept since he was ten years old. 

While playing in the woods on his grandparent’s farm, Alex stumbles across the body of a giant wolf. Driven by a naive love for all things dog and believing the animal dead he approaches the beast and quickly realises it wasn’t as dead as he though, nor was it a normal wolf.
-
Mostly Human is actually my second completed novel, but my third published. I spent so much time doing after care for it and polish that I managed to write and publish a novella in between. But Mostly Human is also the work I’m most proud of, and am currently working on the sequel. 

Would you give us some insight into your career as a writer?

I’ve always needed to be a part time writer, since I’m not yet near being able to write for a living, although I would in a heartbeat. I wanted to be a writer from a young age and finished my first book, A Guy, A Girl and A Voodoo Monkey Hand when I was 19. Which I then sat on for years and year until I found a publisher for it in 2010. Since then I’ve finished three  books, all published, and really enjoy writing short stories, some of which are also published. 
Some friends and I have also started a small writing group who meet once a week in a local bar (in Berlin where I live) and read out the poems and short stories we’ve written over the week based in the chosen topic of the week, with an aim to at some point collect them all and publish an anthology.

What are your influences for your books?

I believe you can only write about what you know, so I like to write about people. I take great influence from the people around me when I’m writing something including random one off encounters I have with people, either on the street in work, in a bar. It doesn’t take a lot to turn real life into a fantastical world. 

Which authors do you look up to?

I love authors like Oscar Wilde and Mary Shelley because to my they write so beautifully, I love the way they use the language. But by the same token Stephen King, Jim Butcher, Terry Pratchett, people who can sit and write one a year. I’d love to really have the space and time to be able to do that.  

What is your favourite element to being an author?

That it can be done anywhere in the world. All I need is my imagination and somewhere to put it down and I’m set. 

What is the most stressful thing about being an author?

Taking something that you’ve worked on and thought about and worried about for years and then handing it to people for judgement. I’m not one who hides there work by any stretch but there is still a little moment when you put something out there for the world and say “Here, I created this, what do you think?” Then wait for the reply. 

What is a typical day for a writer like yourself?

I still work full time so most of my day is spent there, but luckily I’ve never been much of a sleeper. So I’m very much a writer by night. In fact even we I do have the time I’ll spend all day staring at the screen and as soon as the sun goes down my imagination seems to wake up.
As for how I write I have plot points lined up in my head that I want to get to, but the actual writing happens while I sit there. I don’t have planned conversations or write it out word for word in advances.

Could you recommend a book to my readers that you have read this year?

I’m about to finish Ready Player-One by Ernest Cline, which I’ve loved. Sci-Fi CyberPunk full of 80s pop references, bliss. And the audio book is read by Wil Wheaton which I can imagine is perfect.
Otherwise I re-read Dracula this year and do love that one as well. 

What is next for you in the world of writing?

Well, Mostly Human 2 is in the works, plus an anthology of short stories. I’ve also had an idea for an animated series kicking around in my head for a couple years that I’d love to actually sit down and write, then produce. If you know an animator: P

Thanks to David for taking the time to answer my questions. Thank you to the readers who check out this article and support David in his writing efforts. Please leave a comment to say what you thought of this Q&A.

No comments:

Post a Comment